While AJee & Marlin both make great yachtie-cats, we decided to leave them at home versus bringing them along to the Virgin Islands. Needless to say, they weren’t too disappointed.
Tropical Tails & Tales – Bermuda II
Yachting with Cats 101
Once it was confirmed that the cats would be able to join me in Bermuda, the real planning began.
As a rule of thumb, the kitty boys haven’t vacationed with me because of safety concerns. What if a cleaning lady/gentleman inadvertently let them out of the room? My babies could be lost forever!
The moment we had long-awaited finally arrived! The “Mas” fleet grew with the addition of Viva Mas, the mother ship with lodging as its primary purpose. With this, the kitty boys would be able to comfortably vacation with me, without incessant fear for their safety. The kitties’ new vacation home:
Safe Pet Travel Begins & Ends with the Carrier!
To reiterate from Traveling with Cats: The Basics:
- Planning is essential when traveling with your cat
- Safety is the primary concern with regard to pet travel
- Cat Lady Daily believes safety begins and ends with the bag / carrier
If you don’t have your cat in the right carrier, you may find that your pet is quite the escape artist, perhaps a descendant of the great Houdini! When pets travel, their carriers should be safe, secure, and comfortable.
A valuable lesson was learned in not being able to bring the cats to Grand Cayman. That lesson: You can not plan too far in advance for pet travel! Research for Bermuda began in early May while missing my kitties from Grand Cayman. A late June departure for Bermuda was planned and I wanted to ensure that I wasn’t making that trip without my boys!
Planning on traveling with your pet to the Cayman Islands? If so, it’s important to pay close attention to the many requirements. Continue reading
Both AJ & Marlin are well-traveled. Their primary travel is between Atlanta, GA; Fort Lauderdale, FL; and Norfolk, VA. AJ was in five different states his first weekend with me: GA, VA, DE, MD, and NC. While both kitties travel regularly, traveling internationally together is something new for all of us. The planned destinations include Grand Cayman, Bermuda, and St. Thomas. Continue reading
Since August 2006, the majority of my personal travel has been with at least one cat. There are many aspects of pet travel:
- Safety, Safety, Safety – the first step to safety is your selection of a carrier!
- Pet identification
- Updated health records
- How to acclimate your feline to a new environment
- How to make your feline more comfortable when traveling and what to pack, i.e.: food, blanket, favorite, toy, etc.
- Airline travel: restrictions and fees
- International travel: requirements, restrictions, etc.
- Hotel / general lodging restrictions
- Safety, Safety, Safety! Continue reading